Third times the charm?

Passport CoverHello to all of you in internet land!  I’m in the process of preparing more about the discovering China trip, but in the meantime I have some updates and some thoughts to post.  This gives me more time to write, all of you get something to read, (almost) everyone goes home happy.  It seems that there is a bit of karma that likes to put roadblocks in my path to China.  Over the past two years, going to a Chinese university has been an overall goal, if not during school then certainly after graduation.  My thoughts on why I am going and for how long change quite frequently, but the overall interest in spending some time there (greater than two weeks) has remained quite consistent.

My plan for this upcoming semester had been to go to Beijing or Hangzhou to continue studying, but at the moment the reality of this plan is growing fainter by the minute.  I don’t have the money to get over there, and I am not particularly interesting in taking out additional loans or having people give me any more money than they already have.  I also have some concerns about health insurance, of which I currently have none.  It would be easy to spend a whole post ranting about the problems that this raises, but it is not my intention for this blog and I’m sure that most American readers have a sense of the state of healthcare.

To my surprise, the paperwork that I needed to apply for the proper visa actually showed up earlier than I thought it would.  Even if I had been able to find a means to fund the trip, it would mean nothing if I was being held back by a visa.  I had been planning on going to the Chinese consulate yesterday afternoon to apply for entry, but found out that the necessary medical paperwork was not in order, which generally prevents me from applying at the moment.  Taking into account the number of things that would have to happen for me to get these documents, and perhaps more importantly, for me to pay for them sans insurance, it is fair to say that I have had enough with trying to get to Beijing before march.  It is a disappointment, but for the last several weeks something in the back of my head has been screaming that I should further postpone until I have even a bit of a bank account and a more secure plan in mind.  I’m not sure if this is a good or a bad thing, but in either case, it seems at the moment like I don’t really have much choice in the matter.  Oh well.  China isn’t going anywhere, and I suspect my interests won’t either.

This entry was posted in Travel and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.